Trump Announces Historic Peace Memorandum with Iran, Opens Strait of Hormuz
Politics 3 min read 72 views Featured

Trump Announces Historic Peace Memorandum with Iran, Opens Strait of Hormuz

Max Grey
May 24, 2026 6:25 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that the United States and Iran have largely negotiated a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending hostilities and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump said in a post on his Truth Social platform that an agreement “has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization” between the U.S., Iran and other countries involved in regional talks. He added that the Strait of Hormuz “will be opened” as part of the deal, with final details to be announced shortly.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

The announcement follows months of conflict that began earlier in 2026, during which the U.S. and Israel conducted strikes on Iranian targets, and Iran imposed restrictions on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway for global oil transit. Details of the proposed memorandum remained limited as of Saturday evening.

According to officials briefed on the talks, the one-page memorandum would formally end the war in the region and establish a framework for further negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program, sanctions relief and maritime access. It includes provisions for Iran to commit to a moratorium on nuclear enrichment, the U.S. to lift certain sanctions and release frozen Iranian funds, and both sides to ease restrictions on transit through the strait, sources told Axios.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

Trump said he held calls on Saturday with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain to discuss the memorandum. He described a separate conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as going “very well.”

Iranian state media has not immediately confirmed the details of Trump’s announcement. Fars news agency, affiliated with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, previously indicated that Tehran intends to maintain control over the strait, Reuters reported.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

The proposed deal comes amid a fragile ceasefire. Earlier reports indicated that negotiations, mediated in part by Pakistan, have focused on a 30-day period for detailed talks following any initial agreement. Progress has been described as incremental, with both sides maintaining military readiness.

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote. “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly.”

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

As of Saturday, no formal signing had been confirmed, and Iranian officials have not publicly detailed their position on the latest U.S. proposals. The White House did not immediately release additional specifics beyond Trump’s statements.

The development marks the latest effort to de-escalate tensions that have disrupted shipping and raised concerns over energy markets in the Persian Gulf. Officials from both sides have described the talks as ongoing, with key issues including nuclear safeguards and full reopening of the strait still under discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
Share News