US Denies Iranian Claim of Missile Strike on Navy Vessel in Hormuz
International 2 min read 94 views

US Denies Iranian Claim of Missile Strike on Navy Vessel in Hormuz

Lucas Morgan
May 23, 2026 8:27 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military denied Iranian claims that missiles struck a U.S. Navy vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. Central Command said on Monday.

Iranian state media reported that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps fired two missiles at a U.S. warship near the southern entrance to the strait after it ignored warnings to halt, forcing the vessel to retreat. The reports, carried by outlets including Fars news agency, described the incident as occurring on Monday during U.S. efforts to support maritime operations in the area.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Central Command rejected the claims. “No U.S. Navy ships have been struck,” CENTCOM said in a statement. “U.S. forces are supporting Project Freedom and enforcing the naval blockade on Iranian ports.”

The incident took place amid heightened tensions in the Gulf following the launch of Project Freedom, a U.S. operation announced by President Donald Trump to guide stranded vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has threatened to target U.S. Navy ships attempting to enter the waterway as part of the effort.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

Details of the reported engagement remain unclear, with no independent verification available. Iranian officials later characterized some actions as warning shots in certain accounts, while initial reports claimed direct hits.

The Strait of Hormuz is a critical chokepoint for global oil shipments. The current tensions are part of a broader escalation that began earlier in 2026, including U.S. and Israeli military actions against Iran and Iranian responses that included attempts to restrict passage through the strait.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

A senior U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, reiterated that American naval assets in the region continued operations without interruption from any missile strike.

Iranian state media has not issued a further detailed response to the U.S. denial as of late Monday. The U.S. military said it was continuing its mission to support commercial shipping while maintaining the blockade on Iranian ports.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

No casualties were reported from the alleged incident by either side.

As of Monday evening, U.S. officials said merchant vessels had successfully transited the strait under naval escort, though Iranian authorities disputed those movements.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

The situation in the Gulf remains volatile, with both sides exchanging public statements on maritime activities in the area.

ADVERTISEMENT
Share News
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT